The first written evidence of the name “Binibona” dates from 1300. However, Bilamala, documented in 1232, could have been the first name of present-day Binibona. In 1250 it appears as Benimalen and in 1290 as Benimala. In 1506 it is mentioned as Beniabona, which apparently replaced the “rahal” or “alqueiria” of Binimala which is mentioned in the “Llibre del Repartiment”. The name was probably changed due to superstitions.
Nevertheless, according to the philologist Joan Coromines, it appears that the name originated before the Muslim period. It comes from the Latin “pinna mala” (bad crags).
Source: “Guía de Binibona” by Antoni Ordines Garau.